Introduction To St. Croix
Largest of the US Virgin Islands (82 sq. miles) offers a variety of activities. Christiansted and Fredriksted are the two main towns and must be seen, each with its own distinctive style.
Shopping is excellent and there are many places of interest to visit. Tours can be arranged to a rum factory, Botanic Gardens among others. If you are interested in science be sure to visit the Eye to The Sky site for a fascinating experience. Enjoy the beaches and related activities.
History of St. Croix
St.Croix has had an eventful history. First it was occupied by the Arawaks and Caribs with the latter being the most powerful.
Columbus came to the island in 1493 and there began almost a century of conflict between the Spaniards and the Caribs on the island. By the early 1600’s there were both Dutch and English settlements on the island, which caused much strife and the Spanish also tried to maintain control of it during 1650. The following year the French entered the scene and controlled the island for a short time but many of them died and their dominance was short lived.
Ten years later the Governor of St. Kitts bought the island as his private estate and later deeded it to the Knights of Malta who had little experience in management.
In 1665 the island was bought by the French West Indian Company and thrived under Governor Dubois. After his death in 1695 St.Croix became practically
abandoned until 1733 when the French sold the island to Danish West India and Guinea company.
Once again, the island thrived, and sugar became the main stay of the economy. The Dutch encouraged immigrants from many countries who contributed greatly to its development. When sugar production declined because of the availability of beet sugar in Europe, the slaves rioted – The Fireburn of 1878. Denmark sold the islands to the US Government in 1917 and St.Croix, along with St.Thomas and St. John , is now a U.S. territory.
St. Croix’s Natural Attractions
St.Croix has a variety of beaches. Buck Island is a premier diving spot and is a underwater national park and Salt River where Columbus landed is another attraction of note. There is a fine tropical rain forest 15 acres in all which is open for the public to enjoy. Estate St George Botanical Garden covers 16 acres and there you can see ruins of a 19th century sugar cane village and rum factory
Activities Available On The Island
St.Croix has a variety of beaches. Buck Island is a premier diving spot and is an underwater national park and Salt River where Columbus landed is another attraction of note.
There is a fine tropical rain forest 15 acres in all which is open for the public to enjoy. Estate St George Botanical Garden covers 16 acres and there you can see ruins of a 19th century sugar cane village and rum factory
A variety of restaurants offer the visitor a fine choice of cuisine.
Jeep rentals, car rentals and taxis are popular means of sightseeing. Ferry or boat to some of the neighbouring islands while you are there.
Underwater parks, such as Buck Island. Tropical rainforests and botanical gardens as well as beautiful beaches. All part of the natural beauty of St.Croix.
Villa rentals are popular which make it perfect for those with families.
Health and Wellness:
Spa facilities available at many of the hotels.
Trips to the Rum factory, a visit to the “Eye to the Sky” to explore the universe, the Botanic Gardens, the many historic sites and tropical rain forest. The great houses of the past, the fascinating towns of Fredericksted and Christiansted-these are but a few of the sights to visit and enjoy. For the diving enthusiasts be sure to visit the many reefs and underwater parks. Hotels provide entertainment for their guests as well as local clubs.
Guide to St. Croix Accommodation
Check Availability and Rates for St. Croix
Hotel and accommodation option
Rogues Guides by Rogues in Paradise
Get Sample Chapters of Rogues in Paradise
Read about the Caribbean’s most innovative Real Barbados Pirate
Rogues Guide to Islands of the Caribbean
Discover more islands of the Caribbean here:
- What Does Rogue Mean: A Historical Respective
- Barbados Caribbean Travel Literature
- Carriacou Palm Island Adventure – 2 Horse Charter
- Grenada Vintage Memories – Terminated Schooner
- 7 Best Barbados Snorkeling Locations
- Rogues Book Publishing – Literary Agent Query Letter
- 7 Amazing Things To Do In St. Johns Virgin Islands
- Rogues Memories St. Vincent -Solo Sailors
- 10 Best Resorts In Barbados
- Top 7 Best Places To Stay In Barbados
- Friendship Rose Sailing the Grenadines
- Bequia Travelogue Unwinding at the Speed of Light
- Bequia Island Grenadines– Its Culture And Attractions
- Rogues Reviews Videos Share Insights & Life Lesson of the Book
- St Vincent & The Grenadines: The Island Culture And Attractions
- Montserrat: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Trinidad and Tobago: The Islands Culture And Attractions
- Tortola: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Thomas: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Maarten: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Lucia: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Kitts: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Croix: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Post Cards Of The Caribbean
- Nevis: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Grenada: The Island – Its History Culture And Attractions
- Barbados History, Culture, Attractions
- Antigua The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Dominica: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Guide to Anquilla: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions