Introduction To Dominica
Eco tourism reigns in this mountainous island and for those with adventure in mind it is perfect. It has been called the Nature Island of the Caribbean and with its many rivers and unspoilt beauty, there are many activities such as hiking, exploring the nature trails, whale watching, exploring the natural beauty of the rain forests etc. Spectacular scenery and an opportunity to be at one with nature.
History of Dominica
Dominica – Originally occupied first by the Caribs and Arawaks in the 14th century, it was discovered by Columbus in 1493. The island changed hands between France and England several times until 1805 when it remained in the possession of the British until 1978 when it became an independent republic with the Commonwealth.
Dominica has a rich culture with the blend of influences from the Caribs, French, English and African peoples.
Dominica’s Natural Attractions
Known as the Nature Island of the Caribbean Dominica is a haven for those who enjoy the wonders of nature and wish to enjoy a vacation in a truly unspoilt setting.
There are 365 rivers (one for each day of the year) and unspoilt rainforests. Morne Trois Piton National Park has been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1997.
Activities Available On The Island
For the nature lover there is plenty to see and do. Hiking tours to the rainforest can be arranged and The Rain Forest Aerial Tram ride which offers you an exciting view of the flora and fauna from a Canopy gondola should not be missed. Visit the Boiling Lake or climb Mount Diablotin.
Experience Dominica Carnival and during October 2004 there is the World Creole Music Festival. There are also traditional village feasts which take place year around. Whale watching is another popular activity and there is also kayaking, sports fishing and boating and scuba diving.
Cycling the rough terrain is another experience to be enjoyed. And after the sun sets enjoy the night life in the clubs and bars.
Things To Do On Dominica
Crapaud (or mountain chicken) which is a type of frog is a national delicacy of Dominica. Tastes like chicken – only better! Manicou or Agouti (like small opossums) are also worth a try. Callalloo (like spinach) soup is also popular, and Dominica has a very wide variety of fruits and vegetables which are prepared in interesting ways.
The Aerial Tram ride where one can see the beauty of the rain forest in the comfort of a gondola should be experienced. A moke is suitable for exploring the rugged terrain and there are organised tours to the many nature spots.
Dominica architecture is a fascinating blend of cultures. You will spot French, British African, and Carib influences Predominantly. There are also hints of Italian and Spanish in the fresco, wrought iron, and building. Colour is their franchise. It is vibrant; full of joy and contrast.
Dominica is known as the Nature Island of the Caribbean and with it’s many rivers and mountains it is a mecca for those interested in eco-tourism. Wildlife is abundant and birdwatch is excellent with many species of exotic birds tp see.
In Dominica nature is the true family adventure. The island hospitality companies also provide many fun and unique Caribbean activities for children and adults, including heritage tours, nature trails, hiking, picnics in a forest, whale watching, sailing, and horseback riding. Many hotels offer special child facilities including special rates for children, meals, baby-sitting services, and beds and cots in-room or adjoining rooms. Dominica Family vacation hotels will help you arrange tours and outings for the family.
Health and Wellness:
Come to the natural healing of our wilderness, mountains, rainforest, rivers and sulphur springs. Enjoy a holiday in a Dominica Nature Island Health and Wellness resort. Take a Yoga Weekend Retreat, enrol in Yoga Tours or stay for a long holiday of, healthy diet and exercise, health discussion, health training, alternative treatment, natural healing, insights and personal attention.
Dominica Romantic Hideaway Holidays Get you away from it all. A jungle hut – or a mountain retreat: Dominica’s Nature is the prefect Romantic escape!
Trips to the rainforest which can be explored by the hiker or be seen by taking the Aerial Tram Ride is very popular. Cycling the rough terrain is popular and Dominica is famous for its whale watching. A variety of water sports activities such as kayaking, sports fishing, scuba diving is also popular.
For anyone with a love of nature, Dominica offers many activities.
Dominica is one of the last regions on earth where the Carib People (Kalinago) live and retain their culture. The Carib Territories sits on 3,700-acre reserve just south of the airport. The territory is collectively owned but Caribs living there may grow their own crops on any unclaimed land and it will be respect as their own. The Carib people elect a chief every 4 years, who represents them with the Dominica Government. Dominica is also a bastion of Creole culture and hosts the world creole music festival each year. Carnival time in Dominica is an exciting experience and the World Creole Music Festival is a great experience. Local entertainment in the bars and hotels in popular also.
Guide to Booking Accommodation/ Dominica
Check Availability and Rates
Hotel and accommodation options
-Discover these unique Character of a special island
Grab Sample Chapters of Rogues in Paradise
Rogues Guide to Islands of the Caribbean
Discover more islands of the Caribbean here:
- History of Barbados People & the Black Experience
- The People of Barbados – Friendly Caring and Fun
- Memories St John US Virgin Islands – Woodys’ Double Rum
- An Island Stands Apart in People & Geology
- Writing the Real Story of Barbados
- What Does Rogue Mean: A Historical Respective
- Barbados Caribbean Travel Literature
- Rogues Book Publishing – Literary Agent Query Letter
- Carriacou Palm Island Adventure – 2 Horse Charter
- Grenada Vintage Memories – Terminated Schooner
- 7 Best Barbados Snorkeling Locations
- Rogues Memories St. Vincent -Solo Sailors
- 10 Best Resorts In Barbados
- Top 7 Best Places To Stay In Barbados
- Friendship Rose Sailing the Grenadines
- Bequia Travelogue Unwinding at the Speed of Light
- Bequia Island Grenadines– Its Culture And Attractions
- Rogues Reviews Videos Share Insights & Life Lesson of the Book
- 7 Amazing Things To Do In St. Johns Virgin Islands
- 7 Beautiful Montserrat Beaches – Overview
- 8 Amazing Things To Do In Montserrat
- 9 Best Routes For Hiking In Montserrat
- Best Places To Eat Out In Brades Montserrat
- St Vincent & The Grenadines: The Island Culture And Attractions
- Montserrat: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Trinidad and Tobago: The Islands Culture And Attractions
- Tortola: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Thomas: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Maarten: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Lucia: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Kitts: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Croix: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Post Cards Of The Caribbean
- Nevis: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Grenada: The Island – Its History Culture And Attractions