Introduction To St. Lucia
Famous for its annual Jazz Festival St. Lucia offers a getaway for family, couples, and honeymooners alike. Enjoy the unspoiled beauty, visit the famous drive-in volcano and see the bountiful fields of bananas. St. Lucia has a variety of accommodations from the all-inclusive to the simple bed and breakfast type lodging. Castries is well worth exploring, and the French influence on the island provides attractive architectural styles and customs.
History of St. Lucia
The island, like many others in the Caribbean, was originally inhabited by the Caribs and Arawaks and was known as Hewanorra. By the 1600’s a tug of war struggle between the British and French for the possession of the island took place, and in fact, the island changed hands no less than 14 times!
In 1814 it finally seceded to the British, but the French influence has remained to this day in the culture and language of the island. St. Lucia was a
member of the ill-fated British Federation of the 60’s but like in most of the islands, the desire for independence prevailed, and on February 22,1979 St. Lucia became a fully independent country but remained a part of the British Commonwealth.
St. Lucia’s Natural Attractions
St. Lucia is certainly a place of natural beauty. It has been called the Helen of the West Indies. There is the drive-in volcano at Soufriere and the majestic Pitons, the Grand Piton, and Petit Piton, which tower over 2,000 feet straight from the sea, a magnificent sight indeed (this is now a WORLD HERITAGE SITE).
St. Lucia is known for its eco-tourism product and has interesting rainforests where such species as parrots, lizards etc abound. Hiking trips can be arranged to the various areas, or there are the many beautiful beaches such as Reduit, in Rodney Bay, and the close by Pigeon Island which is now joined to the mainland.
Activities Available On The Island
Exploring the island can be great fun. Stops should be made to the drive-in volcano in Soufriere, and along the way, the Pitons will be viewed and definitely make an impression on the mind.
If you are in the island in May, you must go to the St. Lucia Jazz Festival which has become world-famous over the years. St. Lucia is a haven for yachtsmen and the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers in November from Gran Canaria and arrives in St. Lucia in December.
The Rodney Bay Marina welcomes the many boats which have travelled across the Atlantic. The luxurious hotels with their attractive beaches and after-dark entertainment should lure visitors to this island.
Seafood dishes are very popular and the variety of local fruits and vegetables are widely used in the cuisine of St. Lucia.
Take an organized tour to the places of interest, join a hiking party and go to the nature spots. Rent a car/moke and explore the island on your own. Take a boat ride to neighbouring Martinique for a French experience.
If you like to hike, St. Lucia offers a great experience. Visit the drive-in volcano at Soufriere and explore, then visit the nearby botanic gardens. Be sure to visit the famous Pitons which are a breath-taking wonder of nature. Go into the nature reserves and see the variety of birdlife and lizards etc. The naturally beautiful beaches are perfect for relaxation. Truly St. Lucia is ideal for the nature lover.
Perfect for family vacations. Many of the hotels cater to families, offering special rates and entertainment for the little folk. Children always enjoy the whale and turtle watching experiences too. The variety of land and water sports activities make it appealing to the young travellers.
St. Lucia is popular with honeymooners and many weddings take place there. The romantic beach setting is perfect for weddings and the “get away from it all “atmosphere is perfect for those romantic moments. There are wedding coordinators in St. Lucia who can help to organise a perfect occasion for you and the hotels are happy to assist you with your plans.
Health and Wellness:
Fitness and spa facilities are available in St. Lucia and a variety of treatments ranging from the conventional to the VERY unconventional are offered. Many of the spas use the natural resources of St. Lucia in their treatment e.g., Volcanic minerals, rainforest plants, banana leaves etc. Many hotels have their own spa facilities.
Hiking to many natures’ spots, visits to the Pitons and Soufriere volcano are popular activities. Beach and water-related activities are also popular. If you happen to be a jazz lover be sure to be in St. Lucia for the Jazz Festival and many a yachtsman had crossed the Atlantic in the Transatlantic Yacht Race and received a warm reception in St. Lucia. Many fitness and spa facilities are available for the health-conscious.
Saint Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival:
This festival is world-famous and many music lovers flock to hear the international performers. Street parties among the locals, particularly at Gros Islet on Friday nights also attract the tourists, who get a chance to mix with the locals and experience the St. Lucia party feeling!!
Booking Saint Lucia Accommodation
Saint Lucia offers a wide range of places to stay: From the most exclusive to budget travel with everything in between. There are private villas, luxury resorts, vacation apartments, inns, Bed & Breakfast, and Airbnb. Some of the most exclusive resorts are in the Soufriere area where the magnificent Pitons are located. Moving north along the west coast there are hotel clusters around Castries and Vigie and the popular northern posts around. Rodney bay.
Check Availability and Rates for St. Lucia
Hotel and accommodation option
Rogues Guides by Rogues in Paradise
Grab Sample Chapters of Rogues in Paradise
Told with subtle humour, ‘Rogues’ is an insightful
story of a remarkable people, and history
St. Lucia moods: Romance,Nature,Sightseeing,Sailing
Rogues Guide to Islands of the Caribbean
Discover more islands of the Caribbean here:
- An Island Stands Apart in People & Geology
- Writing the Real Story of Barbados
- What Does Rogue Mean: A Historical Respective
- Barbados Caribbean Travel Literature
- Rogues Book Publishing – Literary Agent Query Letter
- Carriacou Palm Island Adventure – 2 Horse Charter
- Grenada Vintage Memories – Terminated Schooner
- 7 Best Barbados Snorkeling Locations
- Rogues Memories St. Vincent -Solo Sailors
- 10 Best Resorts In Barbados
- Top 7 Best Places To Stay In Barbados
- Friendship Rose Sailing the Grenadines
- Bequia Travelogue Unwinding at the Speed of Light
- Bequia Island Grenadines– Its Culture And Attractions
- Rogues Reviews Videos Share Insights & Life Lesson of the Book
- 7 Amazing Things To Do In St. Johns Virgin Islands
- 7 Beautiful Montserrat Beaches – Overview
- 8 Amazing Things To Do In Montserrat
- 9 Best Routes For Hiking In Montserrat
- Best Places To Eat Out In Brades Montserrat
- St Vincent & The Grenadines: The Island Culture And Attractions
- Montserrat: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Trinidad and Tobago: The Islands Culture And Attractions
- Tortola: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Thomas: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Maarten: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Lucia: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Kitts: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Croix: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Post Cards Of The Caribbean
- Nevis: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Grenada: The Island – Its History Culture And Attractions
- Barbados History, Culture, Attractions
- Antigua The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Dominica: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions