Rogues Guide to History of St. Thomas
The Rogues Guide to St. Thomas Culture and Attractions starts with history: As a member of the U.S. Virgin Islands St. Thomas has an interesting history. First occupied by Taino Indians from South America it was visited by Columbus in 1493. The Virgin Islands were named after St. Ursula and her 11,000 virgins.
St.Thomas was bought by the Danish government in 1733 from the Dutch West India Company and remained under Danish rule until 1917 when it was bought by the American Government as a safeguard during World War I.
The image above shows the Old Red castle in Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas.
St. Thomas’s Natural Attractions
St.Thomas is an island with much natural beauty and its famous harbor, which plays hosts to several visiting yachts, is one of the main attractions. it is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Only 33 sq. miles it can be easily explored by bus, car, by foot (uphill in many parts) or take a helicopter ride to take in the spectacular beauty of the island. Be sure to visit Drakes Seat where Sir Francis Drake is said to have sat and counted his ships. Check out the shopping in the historic downtown area for many bargains in crystal, jewellery, cameras etc.
Delightful beaches abound and there is much water-based activity. Scuba diving, yachting etc to mention just a few of the popular activities. Also, within easy reach are the other members of the USVI and it is recommended that one take a ferry and explore the sister islands.
There is an excellent underwater park and there one can see the beauty from beneath the seas. There are several species of beautiful birds and flora and fauna. Exotic plants, fruits and flowers, and such interesting fauna such as mongoose and iguana make for some interesting discoveries.
The capital Charlotte Amalie is a charming town with great shopping and has buildings of historic interest. Well worth exploring. Yachting, scuba diving, and other water-based activities are in abundance. There is the famous St. Thomas Skyride which is a cable car similar to a sky lift and which takes its passengers up to 700 feet in the air where they can experience a panoramic view of the harbor, neighbouring islands etc.
Be sure to visit the Coral World Marine Park for an interesting experience. Much to see and do in St. Thomas. Go visit the other USVI while you are there.
St.Thomas offers a fantastic variety of water based sports and activities. There is scuba diving, snorkelling, day sails, charter yachts and fishing trips. See the beauty of the underwater world at Coral World Marine Park, or take the famous St.Thomas Skyride. Explore the capital Charlotte Amalie and enjoy the shopping and historic sites. St. Thomas has a bustling night life. The hotels offer their own entertainment or one can go to various private bars or clubs.
A variety of restaurants to enjoy. Seafood dishes are recommended. At Paradise Point Cafe try a Bushwacker.It looks and tastes like a milkshake with its whipped cream and nutmeg topping but it’s a creamy blend of 5 liqueurs. Just a sample of the exotic tropical drinks available on St.Thomas.
Car rentals are available for those who wish to explore St. Thomas on their own. There is a splendid inter island ferry between St.John’s and St.Thomas. Taxis are easily available and island tours can be arranged in larger vehicles for groups. Take a cable car ride for a fantastic view of the harbor and surrounding islands. Of course, you can always sail on a yacht between the islands and explore for yourself or enjoy a helicopter ride. The beauty of the underwater park and the excellent diving sites are fine examples of nature’s wonders in St.Thomas. Beautiful flowers, trees and shrubs, and fine natural harbors plus great beaches—all part of St.Thomas’s natural attractions.
St. Thomas is a popular spot to get married or spend a honeymoon, or some time with that special someone in your life. Weddings can be easily arranged. The exotic location, with the beautiful beaches, tropical flowers and great night life make St.Thomas a romantic location.
Villa rentals are very popular which is excellent for the visitor with children. There is a wide selection of all types of holiday accomodation suitable for families as well as solo travelers, groups and the elderly- Check out all accommodation options below:
Guide to St. Thomas Accommodation
Check Availability and Rates for St Thomas
Hotel and accommodation option
Rogues Guides by Rogues in Paradise
Grab Sample Chapters of Rogues in Paradise
A fun story of remarkable people, place & history
Rogues Guide to Islands of the Caribbean
Discover more islands of the Caribbean here:
- An Island Stands Apart in People & Geology
- Writing the Real Story of Barbados
- What Does Rogue Mean: A Historical Respective
- Barbados Caribbean Travel Literature
- Rogues Book Publishing – Literary Agent Query Letter
- Carriacou Palm Island Adventure – 2 Horse Charter
- Grenada Vintage Memories – Terminated Schooner
- 7 Best Barbados Snorkeling Locations
- Rogues Memories St. Vincent -Solo Sailors
- 10 Best Resorts In Barbados
- Top 7 Best Places To Stay In Barbados
- Friendship Rose Sailing the Grenadines
- Bequia Travelogue Unwinding at the Speed of Light
- Bequia Island Grenadines– Its Culture And Attractions
- Rogues Reviews Videos Share Insights & Life Lesson of the Book
- 7 Amazing Things To Do In St. Johns Virgin Islands
- 7 Beautiful Montserrat Beaches – Overview
- 8 Amazing Things To Do In Montserrat
- 9 Best Routes For Hiking In Montserrat
- Best Places To Eat Out In Brades Montserrat
- St Vincent & The Grenadines: The Island Culture And Attractions
- Montserrat: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Trinidad and Tobago: The Islands Culture And Attractions
- Tortola: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Thomas: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Maarten: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Lucia: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Kitts: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- St. Croix: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Post Cards Of The Caribbean
- Nevis: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Grenada: The Island – Its History Culture And Attractions
- Barbados History, Culture, Attractions
- Antigua The Island – Its Culture And Attractions
- Dominica: The Island – Its Culture And Attractions